Friday, May 1, 2009

digging a hole too deep...

As we played Monopoly in class through the class structure found present in the U.S. I realized that it is very hard for somebody to be able to climb up that structural ladder especially when at the way bottom of the totem pole. I was a lower class blue collar worker and I ended up with not very much more than I started up with. We've been trained to think that in America, the land of the free, we can do anything and become somebody. However, I now realize why the poor struggle so much, tend to abuse drugs, and get in trouble with the law, because the hole they find themselves is too deep to find a way out of.
Morgan Spurlock's 30 days episode about poverty in the U.S. had also given me insight into just how difficult the impoverished have it. As much as people may try to dig themselves out, the lack of health insurance, the minimal flow of money coming in, and other such things prevent them from moving up in class because they can barely get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment