Thursday, March 12, 2009

Morrie's views on Nurture

After having watched Tuesdays with Morrie, I realized that as independent as some of us may think we are (me included), we still need those basic things that an infant does; love, affection, and nurturing.
As a little kid, whenever I had a nightmare I would run to my parents room and squeeze between mom and dad for comfort because I needed somebody to hold me in order to help me get rid of my fears. As we get older however, even Morrie tells us, we tend to stray away from this holding and touching because we feel that we are "better than that," "independent." But all through life that we need that affection and that love from others in order to help us keep going.
By interacting with others we are able to grow and prosper into a full human being. We learn our language through others, we learn to give and receive love through others. This is shown in Morrie's growing relationship between him and Mitch. We see that their close interaction not only brought them to a much more intimate level but they really fed off of each other through the information they gave and received.

No comments:

Post a Comment