Saturday, February 14, 2009

Who Influences You?

In class the other day we created a molecule of the various groups we are a part of, whether or not our membership within the groups is voluntary or involuntary, and other components involving our being a part of all of these groups that in turn make up who we are as individuals. Following this activity we were to read an article about how we tend to generalize people upon the assumptions we have made through past experiences and the stereotypes that we have created in our minds as a result of this.
Through the first activity I was able to see in people something that is a huge component of their lives and of themselves while it ranks of much lower importance to me. I stood up when family was called and talked about the significance I bear in my little sister's life because she looks up to me as her role model and unconditionally loves me no matter how rude I can be to her. Other students howerever, stood up to explain how sports, ethnicity, religion, friends, and so many others, were one of the most important aspects of their lives.
Through the stereotypes we make, it is difficult to appreciate all of the components that make up every person as an individual. By keeping a sociological mindfulness however, hopefully we can learn to understand that each person is made up of so many components that differ greatly from the person standing right next to them. These activites have already made me open up to understand why people may dress a certain way, talk a certain way, carry themselves a certain way, all because I now am starting to understand that every person is so much more complex than we take them for.
There's a part of me that really wishes this course was required for everybody because I think this world would be so much more at peace if everyone looked at each other as an individual rather than labeled them with a specific group that makes up one part of them. Until you understand how important this group is to the individual and whether or not they are a voluntary member of the group, this label is simply a generalization and maybe even a stereotype that you've ingrained in your mind.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you like sociology so far. I have always thought it should be required. Everything that schools want students to learn from social studies they get from sociology - understanding who you are, understanding your peers, understanding your society, tolerance, understanding different cultures and race, getting your priorities straight, being a good citizen, etc... I hope you'll continue to enjoy the class (at least in between your vacations haha). At the end of the semester the school will you give you a survey of how your 4 years went at SHS and it'll ask for recommendations for the future - you can tell them how soc should be required!

    ReplyDelete