Thursday, March 5, 2009

Us and Them

This week in sociology, we discussed the cultural norms in America versus those norms in another country. A simple "a-okay" to a friend could mean "you're an a**hole" in Italy. All countries may hold different values and have different meanings for various things but it is important to keep sociological mindfulness for everyone.
For example, when Sal talked about the traditional Japanese bathroom and his reaction, I'm not so sure I would have reacted any differently. Of course at first I would have found it weird but I thought it was great that he kept his mind open and realized that this material object says something about the Japanese culture and there is reason for the way they have their bathroom set up.
My family is from Russia and it is stereotypical that Russians are "drinkers" and whenever I tell my friends that my parents are out, they assume that they're out partying and drinking. This may not always be the case but it is seen as a cultural norm of the Russian culture.
Through understanding about cultural norms in Sals' perspective and then being able to relate it back to my own cultural background, I've understood that sociological mindfulness should be something we hold close because in order to appreciate all the differences among us, we have to keep our minds open to everything!

3 comments:

  1. Good blog Michelle! I agree that we need to keep sociological mindfulness when it comes to other cultures, because to them our culture is extremely weird as well. My grandparents are from Europe and even now, they hold a lot of that culture with them and at times I think they are strange, but I realize that to them, that is the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your comment! I agree that people judge other cultures way too quickly, and we should keep an open mind about things. Each person always carries with them their own culture, and I think you can see that in each person. good job =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do judge cultures to quickly. I even agree with the Russian norms you mentioned, because my Russian friend kinda jokes with that sometimes.I think we do need to keep an open mind to other cultures

    ReplyDelete